Saturday, May 02, 2009

My Top 10! Favorite Gay Rights Rally Kiss Photos

I'm telling you right now that the explanation for this post is a hot mess. But I'm gonna try to put it all through a sieve so it makes some kinda sense.

Okay, start at the beginning...

I was recently asked why I don't talk about more current events and other news, political or otherwise, on the blog. What I told them was that I don't want to, but I realized I do have a more reasoned, thought-out answer to that question. First, I would say that the blog's mission from day one has been "entertainment and my life, plus other kooky stuff" and while I may occasionally write about more serious stuff, it's usually in the context of something entertainment related. The second reason I don't talk about news on the blog is because while there is so much good news, gay marriage approved here, Obama elected as president there...

There is also so much bad news. So much hate (homo hate, black hate, women hate, common sense hate) and so much just plain ugliness. Now of course I could only report the good news, but that isn't realistic and it also would make for a paltry blog as the good news comes few and far between.


However, as there are plenty of places to get the news, I see this blog as kind of a home base. A place anyone can come and maybe pick up a chuckle and an idea before heading back off into that big bad world. Not that I've turned my head to the news completely. In fact, most of the blogs I read are news based and I love them and admire them and how they take on topics of the day.

I could never do it. First, I would get so depressed at some of these stories that I would just cry before I finished a post or my response would be "That's bad" which is not an intelligent way to distill the news to an audience.

And second, I'm much too goofy to take anything seriously, which brings us to the point of this post.

I've been following the gains that us gay peeps are making in the United States in getting marriage equality and other freedoms that straight people take for granted through Sam's blog Lazy Circles, which you all know and love.

Well, recently, he had a post that featured the picture at the very top of this page of two men embracing at a gay rights rally in reference to how an ABC poll finds that a majority of Americans are for marriage equality. It's a beautiful moment, tied to an even more beautiful goal: getting gay couples the freedoms they...

Would you look at how his face is all mashed up in there!


This is why I don't run a news-focused blog. I can't turn the goofy off.

But seriously, the blond guy's face is about to break on through to the other side! Love it! It was when I was looking at this photo that I realized, I love these gay rights rally kissing photos. They're sweet. They're politically charged. And sometimes, they're really funny. So while I'll never be serious and newsy, I can most certainly take a newsy and serious topic, and make jokes about it...

Somewhere Harvey Milk weeps for me. Let's begin. Below are My Top 10! Favorite Gay Rights Rally Kisses! I strongly believe in supporting freedom and equality for all. I also firmly believe that when people kiss in a loud public place, it sometimes doesn't go perfectly... Let's begin.

Oh, I said that. ...Let's begin again.


10)


I call this The "I Only Have Eyes for You"...

This very real news photo (all the photos are very real and that's what I love most about them) comes from a 2005 gay rights march in San Francisco, which will be the place where several of our photos today are taken. Stephanie on the left and Kathleen on the right seem to be lost in another world, which is what I love about the gay rights rally kiss photo, it's a sweet moment tied to an important issue.


9)



The "Say Nose to Prop 8"...

From a Seattle No on Prop 8 rally from November 15, 2008.


8)


The "We're Both a Busy But Let's Try to Make This Happen"...

This photo comes from a gay rights rally in Poland, and unfortunately, I don't have names, years, or other information for this photo but what I love about this photo is that clearly these two men are a little busy. The one of the left is holding balloons and the other is holding the banner, which is why...

Actually, can we analyze this a little closer...?


Yeah, what we've got here is an upper lip kiss. See, guy on the left is heading in straight and guy on the right is going northwest and when the two meet you get a classic upper lip kiss. But they get points for execution...


7)


The "Let It All Hang Out"...

From a San Francisco rally. I had to add the "Censored" bar because, yeah, Miss Girl wasn't wearing a top. Okay. Moving on...


6)


The "You Two Are So Cute I Want to Shoot Myself in the Face, But Don't Worry About Me... Go Be Cute. It's Fine."...

This couple pictured from a 2004 San Francisco gay rights rally kind of make my insides hurt. How can anyone look at the above photo and tell me that that's not love. That that's not natural. Oh, and guess what their names are: Monica and Rachel.

Are you not dying right now?


5)


The "Just Give Me a Minute Here"...

Okay, I think I've figured out how every gay rights rally kiss photo begins. One half of the couple sees the news photographer at the rally. He or she realizes that their signs can only go so far so they decide to give the photographer the money shot, if you will, so they go in for the kiss. The problem is the other half of the couple has no idea what's going on so what you end up with is this...


Oh, this is Moe on the left and Ryan on the right from a 2006 San Francisco rally. And I'm positive that once Ryan figured out what's going on he prolly went along with it. Right now, however, he clearly needs a little time.


4)


The "Girls, Could You Stop Being So Perfect. It Hurts"...

This photo comes from the final 15 minutes of the movie "Milk," oh sorry, I mean from a No on Prop 8 rally in a place of which I do not have the name. Their names are Joni on the left and Tika on the right. Yeah, I'm starting to think this couple kiss list wasn't such a good idea. I'm starting to get totes jeals...


3)


The "There Is So Much Going On Here I Don't Understand"...

I love this photo. Wesley on the left and Tim on the right are participating in a gay rights rally in Hong Kong in December of last year. I think we're gonna need to go in for a closer inspection...


Tim is clearly not ready for the incredibly hot Wesley to kiss him, which is kind of funny. What's funnier is that after awhile it's clear Tim decides he's not upset by it and kinda goes along. And now, the BEST PART is the guy in the back (head circled) who is giving the best "Whaaa?" face ever, which is strange because he knows he's at a gay rights rally, right? Or did he think he was at the most colorful charity walk ever?


2)


The "Hollywood Kiss"...

I LOVE this photo. I don't have the ladies names but I do know it's from a 2006 rally in Israel. The thing I love about this photo is that these ladies clearly look like they don't care who the f#ck is around them, where they are, or who cares about it, they are sucking face and you need to stand back if you have a problem.

Actually, I think they should have a more appropriate background...


That's better.


1)


The "Give Me a Kiss to Make Someone Scream On"...

This may be the best photo ever. Feel free to use it for your desktops and screensavers. It comes from a 2008 gay marriage protest in Los Angeles and I don't have the guys names but we still have enough here to analyze.

1a. The guys are beyond hot.

1b. The kiss looks and deep and luscious.

1c. The fact that they're doing it in front of those crazy stupid nonsensical anti-gay protesters is like the best thing ever!

1d. Can we talk about this guy for a minute?


He may be holding a "God Abhors You" you sign...

Which can we stop and talk about how stupid a "God Abhors You" sign is? Like can't you imagine a bunch of bigots sitting in a room trying to think of what the "A" could be: Assaults, Aghast, A-Hates? Then the idea that God abhors anyone? If you believe in God and that he gave everyone life which is a gift, if I have live, how can he then "abhor" me? And who uses that word? On a sign!

Going back to the guy holding the sign if we could, is it just me or is he not STARING DIRECTLY AT THEM KISSING! LOL! Staring like he's seen something that he's never seen before and he can't describe it, he can't explain it, but something about what he's seeing just... feels... so... right...

1e. What is "Homo Sex"?


That's my list everyone!


Sorry, I was a little listy this week but when you've got a good list, you have to share it! Now I need to know, do you think I should be more newsy even if they means more posts like this? What do you love about the gay rights rally kiss? Is the answer to the last question "everything"? That's what I thought!

7 comments:

Ermine said...

The first guys I am cringing at. All I can think of is tooth to tooth grinding and over mashing. Not a good feeling. Like the over enthusiastic kiss that bangs too hard and results in a swollen lip.
And the last couple looks like one is being inflated by the other. Forcefully. But I am all for the sentiment, GO GAY!

Junior said...

Hi ermine! I don't know, I think the last photo is crazy hot, but it may just be me. Nevertheless... GO GAY!

C. Paul Keller said...

It's pictures like these that remind me why I hate lesbians. They're so damn perfect... (For the record, that was a hyperbolic joke-type thing. I love lesbians. The cast of "The L Word" can stop giving me the evil eye now.) And I was totally hoping you would go there on picture one. You are so right, Mr. God Abhors You is totally turned on. And I don't get the "God Hates Homos" crowd. Even my Palin-worshipping, Fox-News-watching Mama, who is "shocked and disappointed by your lifestyle, but loves my little boy anyway" recognizes God doesn't hate (or abhor.) He loves people, it's like his thing.

And if going all news-reporter on us means you'll post more hot man-on-man frenching, I'm totally for it...

Junior said...

LOL Paul! It's like that joke when Tina Fey was playing Palin: "I tolerate gays. I tolerate them with all my heart." Sometimes I wish people would realize that the world can never be what you imagine in your head and you have to go with the flow, but whatevs.

And I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna post pictures of hot man-on-man frenching without the news premise because, honestly, I hate the news. Writing about it that is.

westernnc said...

C. Paul, I love your line ‘ Even my Palin-worshipping, Fox-News-watching Mama, who is "shocked and disappointed by your lifestyle, but loves my little boy anyway" recognizes God doesn't hate (or abhor.) He loves people, it's like his thing.’

My Mother and I had a pretty heated relationship for most of my life. She hated I was gay and was on a mission to "fix" me. This gave way to wonderful (for me; mortifying for her) press from my man-kissing photos on the front page of our local paper to top of the hour news coverage on regional TV during Gay Pride marches. And this went on for years.

But about a year before she passed Mother sat down with me and this is what she said:
"Son, I have come to realize that at the heart of the matter God doesn't see black men or white men or yellow people. All He sees when he looks down is an expression of his love. God doesn't see men or women or transgender people. All He sees is a pure spark of love, a child of his creation.

I have spent a lifetime making you out to be wrong but these have been Man's interpretations of right and wrong; they had nothing to do with God's Truth. The truth is you are perfect just the way you are. You're a good person and wearing a dress or make-up never changed that. You were created perfect and I have been the one who lost out on a lifetime of enjoying who you are while I was worrying about what the neighbors and everyone else might think. I can't change the actions of my past, but I am sorry for the way I treated you. And I'm sorry that I did not spend the time to think things out for myself. I'm sorry I got all my opinions from the mouths of others who had their own warped ideas."

Having grown up in the South I am still guarded. Ignorance runs rampant but I am encouraged that the times are a changin'.

So here is to changing one mind at a time!

GO GAY!!

Sam said...

My favorite pic is the first one. There's so much emotion going on. It was taken just as the Mass. legislative vote killing an anti-gay marriage amendment was announced. There's love and relief and excitement and on and on. I love all the other pics in this terrific post, but I love that one most of all.

Junior said...

Dale, you have to stop! I don't mean that like a bad thing. I mean it like a 'I'm running out of tissues over here' kind of way. I on behalf of everyone want to thank you and give you a big hug. Everyone, gather 'round.... HUG!

And that hug was mostly for me as I'm still a blubbering mess over here!

And thanks Sam! It's truly a fantastic picture! And one day... Oh, one day, I'll be able to take something seriously...